Winter is finally almost gone. But, between April and June are the prime times for hailstorms and tornados especially here in the Oklahoma. Here’s some tips to help you prepare before a storm hits.
- Understand your insurance policy. Know what’s covered in the event of a storm and the deductible amounts.
- Clean the gutters. Remove debris and make sure nothing is clogging the path and that water can run down gutters freely. Be safe when you are using a ladder or climbing on a roof and check out our safety tips on our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/ChazownRoofs
- Check your roof. Make sure all shingles are properly nailed down. We can perform a roof inspection to spot damage before it could grow worse in a storm.
- Trim your trees. Nothing is worse than having a tree fall down on a roof. The dangers of having trees too close to a house are real and cause more roof problems than any other debris. Keep trees trimmed and maintained.
- Maintain your property. Keep flying debris to a minimum by making sure your property doesn’t have anything that can propel and damage the house or roof. Things like trampolines should be anchored well to the ground.
- Secure heavy furniture around your house. Before a storm, it’s best to tie down or move patio furniture indoors to keep them from flying and hurting the house or worse.
- Install high quality GAF Timberline® ArmorShield™ II or Grand Sequoia® IR shingles on the roof. These shingles both pass UL 2218 Class 4 rating impact tests (the highest possible). Class 4 is ‘Impact Resistant’.
- Put together an emergency kit for your home and car. Include water, non-perishable food, flashlight, batteries, blanket, first aid kid, cell phone charger, and copies of important documents. Also, be sure to include any vital medications that will be needed.
- Keep informed about the weather and have a safety plan. If you hear of a storm coming, consider going to safe location, such as a neighbor’s storm shelter if you don’t have one.
- Have a battery powered radio to receive weather updates during power outages.
Call Chazown Roofing and Construction LLC anytime for a free inspection 405-252-1760.